What is a “conditional activity”?
Conditional activities are new in Moodle 2 and enable teachers to restrict the availability of any activity according to certain conditions such as dates, grade obtained, or activity completion.
Here is a basic example:
Students are required to undertake 4 tasks in a precise order. According to their score in a quiz, the fourth task, a Moodle lesson, is either at a lower or more advanced level. They must
view a webpage explaining the course
post an introductory message in a forum
take a quiz
move onto a lesson tailored to their performance in the quiz.
- Here is the teacher view.
Students will only see the first task (the webpage) with the second task (the forum) grayed out. The other tasks only appear once the conditions have been met. How's it done?
- Task 1, the webpage must be read (or at least viewed) before students can access the forum. In task 1 the activity completion condition is set to require view.Task 2, the forum, needs to have the "Restrict availability" section set such that the webpage Read This First must be marked complete. It is also set so the forum is grayed out until available:
- Task 2, the forum, needs to require students to make a post before they can do the quiz. The activity completion condition is set to " require posts".
- Task 3, the quiz, needs to have the "Restrict availability section " set such that the forum must be marked complete. It is also set so that that the quiz is completely hidden until a student has posted in the forum:
- Task 4 is two lessons - either at level 1 (basic) or level 2 (advanced). If the student scores less than 50% in the quiz they do Level 1; if they score more, they do Level 2. In the Level 1 lesson, the "Restrict Availability" section is set such that students can only access it if they get under 50% in the quiz.The Level 2 lesson has the "Restrict availability" section such that students can only access it if they get 50% or more: